We have a little Sunday Morning routine in our home. We sleep in, play with the kiddos in our bed for a little while after they wake up, then… pancake breakfast. I make them on other days occasionally but I try to make Sunday mornings a constant thing we do together. Why Sunday? It’s the only morning Hubs and I are both off together and I’m not home for dinner most days, so we don’t really have too many chances for us all to sit together for a meal. I want Sunday morning pancakes to be a cheesy thing they remember about their childhood when they’re older and hate us.
I’ve done a few different recipes over the years, Bisquik Shake bottles, boxed mix, from scratch, and with all sorts of different toppings. We currently have a new fave that the kids just don’t get tired of. Cinnamon/Banana pancakes. They’re rich, yummy and, best of all, a very quick and even very affordable meal.
Makes 8-9 pancakes (5ish inch across size)
- 1 ¼ cup of pancake powder mix (I like Hungry Jack but any will work)
- ¾ cups of water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 small banana, mashed (very ripe is better, it’s sweeter)
- Heat large flat skillet or pan on medium heat, if it’s not non-stick, give it a small spray of cooking oil or melt a ¼ tbsp of butter and spread around.
- Mix pancake mix, Cinnamon, Vanilla and water together until smooth, you may need to add an extra spoonful or 2 of water if it’s too thick. Should be pourable from a ladle but not too runny.
- Add mashed banana and mix in.
- Pour mix onto skillet to the size you want (I use a soup ladle to measure).
- Let it cook untouched until the center bubbles up and the edges look cooked, then Flip it over.
- Let it cook another minute and take them out.
Now the last part and best step, enjoy! These are delicious topped with berries or even more bananas. Even better with a side of eggs, bacon and of course, a beautiful cup of coffee.
TIME SAVING TIP: Double the batch when preparing them and freeze 2 at a time in sandwich size plastic baggies. Just microwave them for a minute or two. Perfect super fast breakfast for the kids.